Source Information & Methodology
Source information and methodology for Québec in Canada.
Names Data Information
- Data is sourced from Retraite Québec .
- Names data is currently available for the years 2011‑2018.
- Names with accents have had the accents removed and have been grouped with the equivalent names without accents. For example, the names Chloé, Chloë, Chloè and Chlöe have been grouped with Chloe.
- Names have been converted to ‘proper case’ format, so names with the same spelling but different capitalisation have been grouped. For example, the name McKenzie will have been grouped with Mckenzie. A few names will have a lower-case letter where there should be an upper-case letter. For example, a forename of AJ will appear as Aj.
- The available names data has been used to produce the following statistics for each name:
- Rank: The position of a name when the list of names for a given year has been placed in order from highest count to lowest count. Names with an equal count have been given the same rank, and placed in alphabetical order in popularity tables.
- Change in rank: The difference in ranks of a name between a given year and a previous year.
- Count: The number of boys or girls given a particular name in a given year.
- Relative change in count: The relative difference in counts between a given year and a previous year. The relative change is not the actual difference between counts, but gives a better idea of the change from a previous year by taking into account the different total number of births for each year.
- Percentage of total male/female births: The number of boys or girls given a particular name in a given year as a proportion of the total number of male or female births in that year.
- New names data is added to the site when it becomes available, usually around April each year.
Births Data Information
- Number of female and male births per year data is currently available for the years 1962‑1971, 1975‑2018.
- Data is sourced from Statistics Canada .
- New births data is added to the site when it becomes available, usually around October each year.