Source Information & Methodology
Source information and methodology for New Zealand.
Names Data Information
- Data is sourced from SmartStart .
- Names data is currently available for the years 1954‑2018.
- Data is available for the 100 most popular male and female names each year only.
- The results are based on analysis of all births registered within the relevant reference year. This is not necessarily the year these births will have occurred (e.g. a birth that occurs near the end of December may not be registered until early January the following year).
- Names have been converted to ‘proper case’ format, so names with the same spelling but different capitalisation have been grouped. For example, the name McKenzie will have been grouped with Mckenzie. A few names will have a lower-case letter where there should be an upper-case letter. For example, a forename of AJ will appear as Aj.
- The available names data has been used to produce the following statistics for each name:
- Rank: The position of a name when the list of names for a given year has been placed in order from highest count to lowest count. Names with an equal count have been given the same rank, and placed in alphabetical order in popularity tables.
- Change in rank: The difference in ranks of a name between a given year and a previous year.
- Count: The number of boys or girls given a particular name in a given year.
- Relative change in count: The relative difference in counts between a given year and a previous year. The relative change is not the actual difference between counts, but gives a better idea of the change from a previous year by taking into account the different total number of births for each year.
- Percentage of total male/female births: The number of boys or girls given a particular name in a given year as a proportion of the total number of male or female births in that year.
- New names data is added to the site when it becomes available, usually around January each year.
Births Data Information
- Number of female and male births per year data is currently available for the years 1971‑2018.
- Data is sourced from Stats NZ .
- New births data is added to the site when it becomes available, usually around February each year.